Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Is this PR? (1) Eric Ber-rey, Eric Berry…

Before I start, let me hope on my soapbox and say what is it about athletes that think that they can rap. (I say that saracastically because I rap as well). Eric Berry plays linebacker for the University of Tennessee and has made a lot of noise on the football field individually, even if his team hasn’t. Most notably was his big game against Tim Tebow and the defending champion Florida Gators where he recorded 11 tackles and had one interception. Around that time, he was getting a miniscule amount of buzz for the Heisman. A couple weeks after his performance against Florida, a music video hit YouTube from Swiperboy a.k.a. Renaldo Woolridge from the University of Tennessee basketball team.

It was a remix to the song Halle Berry and it was called ERIC Berry, promoting his Heisman campaign. The video got over 160,000 hits in two months and it made Eric Berry’s name known worldwide. Despite him not being a finalist for the Heisman, I still consider this good PR because it brought a lot of publicity to Eric Berry Heisman campaign (even though he’s not a finalist, oh well join the club) and to Swiperboy’s music (because he did kill that remix).

1 comment:

  1. I was so excited to see that someone else had seen this video promoting Eric Berry for Heisman. I was informed about its existence by my roommate who was raving about how funny and clever the video was, so I checked it out for myself. While this did not seem to be a traditional form of PR, I definitely think it was a successful PR tactic. The video got tons of hits and lots of publicity. Videos are a major way that information can be spread to mass audiences, and this Eric Berry for Heisman video did just that.

    ReplyDelete